The Center for Human Growth and Development’s Media Management & Behavioral Coding Core provides efficient, cost effective and quality management of research media (audio and video) and the behavioral coding of these files for Center members.
The Trouble with Media Management and Coding!
Media management and coding work for research projects is labor-intensive and involves hiring, training and overseeing staff/students. The CHGD Media Management & Behavioral Coding Core lightens the load for investigators by doing this work for you! In addition, these tasks are often left to the end of a project. The Media Management & Behavioral Coding Core offers the advantage of having media managed and projects coded in real-time by staff who have been rigorously trained and are overseen by the Core Manager, with consultation from the Media Management & Behavioral Coding Core Faculty Lead.
The CHGD Media Management & Behavioral Coding Core offers members:
- Free initial consultation regarding project needs
- Services to code different behaviors of interest based on videofiles, audiofiles and/or interview transcriptions
- Digital audio/video data management
- Video editing
- Expertise in coding reliability in both traditional and novel coding schemes
- Group education and training
- Access to a coding expert for grant applications
What kind of data can be coded?
The materials coded can be from interviews, transcripts, texts (e.g., My Voice), audio and video files. Please note that the MMBCC does not provide qualitative coding, such as identifying top themes from focus group responses, but rather provides behavioral coding and coding of specific content (e.g. coding for “child compliance”,”parent directive”, or number of times certain topics are mentioned in a transcription of an interview).
How to get started:
To schedule your free consultation with the CHGD Media Management & Coding Core, please fill out the intake form here.
Best Practices to Make the Most of Your Free CHGD Media Management & Behavioral Coding Core Services Consultation
- Define your study aims/hypothesis.
- Gather information required for power analysis
- Both the budget and feasibility of the study will depend on the sample size
- Confirm or reframe aims if power is limited
- If audio or video data collection has not yet started (or even while you are developing your grant proposal) consult with the Media Management & Coding Core before this begins!
- Prioritize behaviors of interest to be coded.