The Center for Human Growth and Development (CHGD) invites applicants to apply for the 2017 International Student Scholar Program. This program provides living expenses for one month to graduate students and junior scholars wanting to visit the University of Michigan and conduct research with a CHGD faculty member on issues pertaining to interdisciplinary developmental and health sciences. We are particularly interested in supporting doctoral students of middle- and low-income from countries where scholarship support may be difficult to obtain.
An award of up to $4,000 provides expenses that can be used towards J-1 visa fees, housing, living expenses, airfare, and health insurance. All applicants are advised to contact the University of Michigan’s International Center before applying to make certain they understand fully the requirements for international study and travel to the U.S. CHGD will assist with the visa application process, but all potential applicants should work with the International Center.
- International students from a foreign school or research institution wishing to spend a month in residence at the Center for Human Growth and Development
- Students currently enrolled in graduate programs in the U.S. are ineligible
- Students working on their dissertation research
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- A clear and well-formulated proposal about what they would like to accomplish in the U.S. and how it relates to their work in their respective country. The proposal is the single most important portion of the application. Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact a prospective faculty member to discuss the proposed project before applying
Scholars from eligible disciplines are advised to contact CHGD faculty to assess eligibility and fit with existing research. Check the CHGD website for all current CHGD faculty and their projects. All doctoral students applying must have prior approval and a letter of support from the CHGD faculty member who will be sponsoring your visit.
Areas of Interest of Current CHGD Faculty
Cognitive Development & Learning
Early Brain Development & Neuroscience
Global Child Health & Development
Healthy Children, Families & Communities
Fathers and Families
Applicants should submit the following materials for consideration:
- a curriculum vitae
- a detailed statement of research interests and career objectives
- two letters of recommendation
All application materials MUST be submitted via mail or e-mail to:
University of Michigan
Center for Human Growth & Development
300 North Ingalls
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
The deadline is May 1, 2017